March 16, 2020: Updates on STAAR test, food service and online education
Dear Varnett Family,
We want to thank you for your patience during this difficult time as we cope with COVID-19. We urge you to check our website frequently, varnett.org, and our social media platforms.
Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday, March 16, canceled the administration of the STAAR test for the 2019-20 school year. Additionally, the governor is requesting that the Department of Education waive federal testing requirements for the 2019-20 school year. Read his complete statement here.
Starting Monday, March 23, each campus will provide curbside breakfast and lunch. Vehicles will drive up to designated pickup points to collect the food. Breakfast will be distributed from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and lunch will distributed from noon to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Further information will be added this week.
Varnett is working on an online educational plan for our students to begin after Spring Break. We will provide you with more information after we finalize the details this week.
These are challenging times and Varnett is working hard to make the necessary adjustments to provide a quality education for your children, ensure they receive nutritious meals and keep everyone healthy. This is an effort that requires involvement from everyone.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention always recommends everyday preventive actions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizers containing at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay at home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Use Lysol to clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces.
Thank you for your continued support.