April 17, 2020: Guidance on entering schools during closure
Per Gov. Abbott’s April 17, 2020, order, the following parameters apply when allowing staff into school facilities. These parameters will remain in effect for the duration of the governor’s order.
- School classrooms are closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
- Teachers may go into the classroom for video instruction, to perform administrative duties, and/or to clean out their classrooms.
- Where possible, teachers and staff should continue to work remotely, and if they can’t do so, they should follow the parameters outlined in this guidance.
- Teacher and staff time at schools should be staggered at each individual campus to enable social distancing to be implemented effectively.
- Teachers and staff must be in the classrooms or offices by themselves and must maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet from one another.
- Teachers and staff should wear masks if available, or face coverings if masks are not available.
- Teachers and staff must screen themselves before coming into school for: new or worsening cough; shortness of breath; sore throat; loss of taste or smell; feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit; or known close contact with a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19.
- Schools must clean and sanitize bathrooms, doorknobs, and other commonly touched surfaces.